Date: Tuesday, 4th september 2012, 10.00-18.00h
Venue: Poschiavo (Switzerland)
Oliver Bender and Axel Borsdorf, Institute for International Mountain Research of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the University of Innsbruck;
Paolo Viazzo, Working Group Demography and Employement of the Alpine Convention
1) Analyse the changes in the structure and composition of the population regarding especially a) the “new highlanders” phenomenon, their needs and their contribution to local communities and b) how alpine societies/communities are facing demographic (and cultural) change.
2) Analyse the trends of population movements, especially a) in-/out migration, b) the consequences of the concentration and polarization within specific regions (urban centres and surrounding areas), c) the need for adaptation of policies concerning territory issues?
- Overview on the state of the art of current knowledge and ongoing research
- Provide inputs to the Working Group “Demography and Employment” of the Alpine Convention (WG DE)
- Prepare new transnational projects and cooperation
- Based an short thematic inputs a series of topic specific questions will be discussed in World Cafés
- The results will be taken up by the Working Group Demography and Employement and be summarised in a scientific article and published in an appropriate journal. If possible, project proposals will be developed after the Workshop.
Participants, Costs, Language
The number of participants is limited to 25 persons. There are no registration fees. Meals will be offered by ISCAR, while travel and accommodation costs have to be covered by the participants. The language of the workshop will be English.